Thursday, March 15, 2012

Time for a Home DIY Project: Granite Countertop Paint


You know how when you leave a little puppy cooped up in the house for an entire day it destroys everything? Well, it turns out it’s equally as dangerous to leave a notorious DIYing mother currently on mat leave for an entire week; especially when the children have a two hour afternoon nap at the same time and are in bed for the night at 7:30pm. Yes, Jonas has been gone since Sunday morning and by Sunday evening the things in my home that have started to annoy me started swirling around out of control in my head. In particular, the green laminate countertops in the bathrooms, living room and kitchen. Ugh. So, needless to say, I started a new home DIY project.

I came across this Giani Granite Countertop Paint and after reading several reviews and watching the tutorial videos on their site I decided this was exactly the project I would be undertaking this week. Purchasing new granite counter tops is definitely not within my budget, so this paint is what I needed to update my home. 

You can buy the kits at Walls Alive in Calgary, for $100. For other seller locations click here. Or you can buy the product online from their site for $70, but shipping to Canada is $35, so not worth it in my opinion.

It was actually incredibly easy to use. The tutorial videos are excellent. 

Here are my before and after pictures:






 

The process is very well outlined.

Preparation: Remove caulking, clean the surface area really well, and tape the edges. Don't rush through this step.

Primer: One coat of black primer. 8 hours to dry. Very simple.

Mineral Paints: Sponge on the mineral colours in order. 4 hours to dry. Sand smooth.

Clear Topcoat: Two coats of the clear topcoat. 4 hours and sanding in between.

Re-caulk: Replace the caulking that was removed around the counter edges and sink. I'd never used caulking before and I found this video on youtube very helpful.

Here's a photo of the process:




The colours will look dull until the topcoat is added. And then it will shine like a glorious new granite counter top.

The good thing about this paint process is that if you've covered up too much of the black primer you can always sponge on more after your mineral colours have dried.

I had a blast doing this project and it sure made this week fly by. I'm currently working on the kitchen and will post some pictures when I'm done.





3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! I love the way you tracked the entire process and took photos of everything, this is very helpful.
    Granite Countertops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you guys that is a great explanation. keep up the good work in your blog.
    granite countertops edmonton

    granite edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures you share with us in this post really great, superb job you have done. Looking forward to see your kitchen pictures too.
    Granite Countertops Edmonton

    ReplyDelete