Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Home DIY Part 2: Granite Countertop Paint in the Kitchen

The countertop redo is finally finished. I have to say I'm really impressed with the finished product. There is no longer any green laminate left in my house.

Here are the before and after pictures of the kitchen.








If you're considering taking on this simple home DIY project here's what you need to know. The product I used is Giani Granite Countertop Paint, which is sold in very conveniently packaged kits. The kits come in three different colours, Sicilian Sand, Chocolate Brown and Bombay Black. The kit I used was Chocolate Brown, which I applied leaving a lot of the black primer exposed.

The kits include:

Ironcore Primer
3 Mineral Paints
Clear Topcoat
2 rollers
1 foam paintbrush
1 sponge
Instructions

In addition you’ll need:

A utility knife: to removeexisting caulking
Painters tape
Paint tray
Foil: to line your paint tray
600 grit sandpaper
Hand sander or wood block
Papertowel and/or rags for cleanup

Overall the process is really straightforward and simple. The trickiest part is applying the Clear Topcoat smoothly and efficiently so you don't end up with lines throughout. This is most difficult on long sections of counter, which for me was the breakfast bar in the kitchen. My tip, after trial and error, is to be sure to generously apply the Clear Topcoat and never let your roller dry. The videos are also really helpful. 

If you run out of any of the paints that come in the kit you can also buy them separately. I purchased my kit and an additional can of the Clear Topcoat at Walls Alive in Calgary. For more information click here to link back to my previous post on countertop paint.





7 comments:

  1. You made some decent points there.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming time. I enjoy that you place an excellent content that is articulate and well-written. I like this web site because there is so much useful stuff in here. Great.

    Kitchen Countertops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post! chicago kitchen sink countertop installers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no longer positive where you are getting your information, however good topic
    Black granit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks sửa chữa nhà tại hà nội

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful change in the before after image.

    Absolute Black Granite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your countertop idea. These are beautiful indeed.
    Black Granite India

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you are looking at the different options for countertops that are available, it is important that you look at what each countertop can do for you. That makes them a great choice for everyone.Find more interesting information about granite countertops here.

    ReplyDelete