Although it would have been nice to have the filling look like lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc. I've always been a big believer that it must taste great first and foremost. So in the absence of creative, funky filling ideas I opted to make the "bread" a little bit on the fancy side.
This cake recipe is adapted from the White Almond Wedding Cake on Allrecipes.com. It's a great sturdy cake that works well for shaped cakes such as this one. And it's delicious!
Marbled Rye Sandwich Cake with Almond Buttercream and Strawberry Filling
1 package white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp milk
1/4 cup cake trimmings, crumbled
1 tsp prepared Almond Buttercream icing
1 square of white bakers chocolate
A few drops of green food colouring
1 small skewer stick
1 or 2 red M&M's
Prepare the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 x 9 square cake pans.
2. Stir together the white cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until well mixed. Add the water, sour cream, oil, vanilla extract and egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on low until all ingredients are mixed and moistened.
3. Spoon 1/3 of the cake batter into a separate bowl. Add the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. This is your chocolate batter.
4. Add the almond extract to the remaining 2/3 of the cake batter and mix thoroughly. This is your white batter.
5. Divide the white batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans and shake the pans gently to allow the batter to spread to all edges. Carefully spoon the chocolate batter on top of the white batter to form a spiral. Do not stir or cut through the batter.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until the top of the white cake is a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 25 - 35 minutes. Cool completely and set aside.
Prepare the Strawberry Filling
1. Combine the strawberries, sugar and cornstarch in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly and crushing the berries slightly with the back of a spoon.
2. Boil for 2 minutes to thicken, stirring constantly.
3. Poor into a bowl and allow to cool completely.
Prepare the Almond Buttercream
1. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and almond extract. Add confectioners' sugar and beat well. Add the milk and mix until light and fluffy.
Shape the Cake
1. Once the cake has cooled completely, cut a square of parchment or wax paper the size of the cake. Fold the paper in half and draw the outline of one side of a sandwich slice (see image below), cut along the line through both layers of paper, unfold and lay on top of one of the square cakes. Note: To ensure the paper doesn't stick to the top of cake you can spray it with a thin coating of oil.
2. Using a sharp knife trim around the paper to create a sandwich slice shape. Do the same for the second cake.
Make the Olive Cakepop
1. Mix 1/4 cup of crumbled cake trimmings with 1 tsp of the Almond Buttercream icing. Form into an oval with your hands. Refrigerate or freeze until firm.
2. Melt 1 square of white bakers chocolate in the microwave. Add a few drops of green food colouring and mix well.
3. Using a small skewer stick pierce the bottom of the cake oval and dip it into the "green" chocolate so it is completely coated. Stand upright in a an empty egg carton or some other prop. Press M&M's into one or both ends of the "olive" before the white chocolate hardens. Refrigerate until firm.
Assemble the Cake
1. Lay the bottom layer of cake upside down onto your cake plate or cake storage container. Spread a layer of the prepared Almond Buttercream on the surface of the cake right to the edges. Top with the prepared Strawberry Filling and spread to the edges.
2. Lay the top layer of cake upside down on a piece of parchment or wax paper sprayed with oil to prevent sticking. Spread a layer of the prepared Almond Buttercream on the surface of the cake right to the edges.
3. Carefully lay the top layer of cake onto the bottom layer, forming your sandwich.
Add the Olive Cakepop to the centre of the cake. I opted to make a cardboard sign rather than writing in icing on the cake.